BMFI Closing Temporarily Due to COVID-19 in Montco
March 12, 2020
BMFI is closing for
Following the order from Governor Tom Wolf,
Bryn Mawr Film Institute will be closed for two weeks starting Friday, March 13.
All films, special events, and education courses are canceled through Thursday, March 26.
“I am ordering the closure of all schools, community centers, gyms and entertainment venues. This includes (YMCAs), theaters, sporting events, concerts, and I am strongly recommending the closure of non-essential retail facilities. It includes schools of all types, including higher-ed.”Gov. Tom Wolf, March 12, 2020
We are complying with all of Gov. Wolf’s orders without
hesitation. Our first priority is the health and safety of our community.
BMFI employees will continue to receive full pay and benefits during this temporary closure. You can still renew your membership and make donations online during this time, but we do not recommend making future ticket purchases or course registrations until our reopening date is confirmed. Details regarding cancellations, refunds, and Montgomery County closures are below.
Refunds will be issued for all films, events, and courses scheduled for Friday, March 13, through Thursday, March 26
- If you purchased tickets with a credit card online or at the box office to films or events, we will automatically issue a full refund to your card within 7 days.
- If you purchased tickets at the box office with cash, please save your ticket. We will gladly give you a full refund or exchange your ticket when we reopen.
- Students enrolled in The Dark Side of Hollywood: Film Noir course will receive a 50% refund. If you paid by credit card, we will automatically issue the refund on your card. If you paid by check or cash, our education coordinator will contact you directly to arrange for your refund.
- Students enrolled in The Immortal Cinema of Agnès Varda will receive a 25% refund. If you paid by credit card, we will automatically issue the refund on your card. If you paid by check or cash, our education coordinator will contact you directly to arrange for your refund.
- Students enrolled in the Philosophy on Film sessions will receive a full refund, since this series is being canceled in its entirety. If you paid by credit card, we will automatically issue the refund on your card. If you paid by check or cash, our education coordinator will contact you directly to arrange for your refund.
- Film History Discussion Series: 1945 – Present will schedule two additional sessions later this spring, dates TBD.
- Please stay home if you can. The health and safety—of ourselves and all of our neighbors—is the top priority.
- If you are essential personnel required to work, or need to visit a pharmacy, hospital, or grocery store, please keep yourself safe. Cover your cough, wash your hands, and don’t touch your face.
- The fastest way to receive BMFI updates is through email. Sign up here if you don’t already receive our emails.
- We’ll post all of our updates, as well as future films and schedules, on BrynMawrFilm.org.
- Montgomery County’s coronavirus website features local updates in addition to national resources and information. Please follow all orders and recommendations issued by the state, just like we will be.
Thank you for doing your part to keep yourself and your neighbors safe. It’s a remarkable community that stands together for the good of each other, even when that means standing apart. Your support during this closure will contribute to staff compensation, building expenses, and the losses due to canceled screenings, helping us to reopen smoothly as soon as it is safe to do so.
Be safe, be well, and we’ll see you at the movies soon.